History


  • Howard Bramhall was acting Chariman of the organizational meeting that approved the forming of the Fire Company and conducted the meeting until Officers were elected.
  • First Fire Engine "Old Kate" American L. France purchased for $300 byt the Town of Bethany Beach from Selbyville Fire Company in order to help get Bethany's Fire Company Started.
  • First State Convention Delegates: William F. Wilgus, Jr. and T.G. Walston. Alternates : John Hargadine and Nelson Pepper.
  • First Fund Drive In July 1948 - Collected $390.
  • First response to a Fire Call in the fall of 1948.
  • First "By-Laws" adopted came from Dagsboro Fire Company. Used until own were made up and approved.
  • First siren donated by Ralph Gates of Chester, PA, February 1949.
  • Second Engine purchased April 11, 1949 from Millsboro Fire Company for $3,000.
  • Special meeting called December 2, 1949 for a vote to buy property of present location consisting of five lots and a used building of $5,000 from Phil Short, Sr. with $500 down and $500 annually at 5% interest. Approved. Prior to having their own building, all meetings were held at members homes.
  • Third Fire Engine purchased GMC via a motion by William F. Wilgus, Jr. approved by Horace Littleton, from Hahn Fire Company, Hamburg, PA, January 1952 - price $12,500.
  • Dedication speech by George Bissett, September 13, 1952.
  • First Bingo - March 1957.
  • Purchased Rescue Truck, June 1962 - $3,250
  • Purchased 2 1/4 lots in 1962, located next to our original 5 making a total of 7 1/2 lots at present location
  • At the meeting of August 12, 1963 it was approved that the Company meet the 2nd and 4th Monday of each month.
  • Purchased Ford Engine, September 27, 1965. Price equipped except radio - $22,500.
  • Purchased in 1968 International Beach Rescue Truck - $3,700.
  • Signed contract with Sutphen Fire Equipment Co., August 14, 1972 to purchase Model TS - 85 foot Telescopic Aerial Platform Fire truck for $124,111.50. Signing : Don WIlgus, Paul McCabe, Al Roger and WIllis Matthews.
  • At meeting of May 13, 1974 Fire Company via a motion by Hal Barber seconded by Horace Littleton approved by membership awarded contract for new edition to our building to D.F. Quillen - $66,500.
  • June 22, 1974 took delivery of Sutphens Aerial Tower 70-7.
  • August 30, 1975 new addition to building dedication and Housing of Sutphen.
  • September 13, 1976 authority to purchase new pumper 70-9.
  • December 13, 1976 resolved boundary dispute with Millville Fire Company.
  • February 1977, obtained generator, trailer and four-wheel drive vehicle from Civil Defense.
  • November 14, 1977 authority granted to relocate kitchen to provied space for recreation room.
  • February 1978 new pummper 70-9 arrived.
  • September 6, 1978 authorized interior walls to be renovated and painted.
  • September 28, 1978 recreation room completed, purchase of color TV and set up of pool table.
  • June 1978 celebrated our 30th Anniversary.
  • December 1979 Ordered new 1980 Ford rescue truck, from Swab Wagon Company - $70,428.50.
  • December 1979 Discussed possible sub-station at Fenwick Island.
  • November 1980 Purchased lots 21 and 23 block 108 from the Ewell family.
  • December 1980 Discussed leasing Ewell family property to Beebe Hospital.
  • April 1981 Four engine bay overhead doors replaced - $5,100.
  • March 1982 Ordered new Ford 15 passenger van - $13,565.68.
  • March 1983 Paid off balance of mortgage on Ewell property.
  • February 1983 Made an agreement with Beebe Hospital to lease Ewell Property from us.
  • July 1983 Engine 70-3 overhauled cost $3,900.
  • July 1984 Purchased new Motorola radio for chief $1,624.
  • September 1984 911 service was put into effect.
  • August 1985 Purchased 26 new pagers for top responders.
  • August 17, 1985 First fire company Casino Night (very successful).
  • April 1986 Purchased new kitchen equipment $24,660.
  • August 1986 Purchased new base station radio system $3,691.49.
  • July 26, 1987 Dedication of Station 2 in Fenwick Island.
  • October 1987 70-1 New Pierce Arrow Pumper $158,447.
  • May 1988 Purchased new Ford clubwagon van $15,635.
  • June 1988 Purchased new Ford 4x4 utility truck $16,138.58.
  • June Celebrated 40th Anniversary.
  • June 1989 70-2 new Pierce Pumpter $180,403.75.
  • June 1989 Major renovations done on fire house $73,149.
  • September 1990 Co-host of 70th Annual Firemens Convention & 53rd Annual Ladies Auxiliary Convention.
  • April 1991 First female firefighter.
  • October 1991 accepted from Station 88 Selbyville Vol. Fire Co. 4x4 Military vehicle 70-12.
  • March 1992 Jr. firefighter program started. Purchased 1992 Pierce Lance Pumpter 70-3 - $278,725.
  • April 1993 Purchased new air compressor system.
  • Purchased 70-8 1969 Kaiser 2 1/2 ton truck $5,100.
  • 1994 Purchased new Ford Crown Victoria command car 70-15 - $20,523.11. New building added to house generator.
  • 1995 Purchased new cascade system to be mounted in Station 1 - $36,000.
  • September 1996 Purchased new 1996 Pierce Quantum Rescue Pumper 70-6 $475,324.69.
  • January 1996 70-1- van turned over to fire police for traffic control.
  • October 1996 Made offer to purchase Bennett property, Kent Avenue.
  • 1997 Ladies Auxiliary ordered new 1998 Roughneck 19 ft. boat with 40 HP Mercury motor.
  • June 20, 1998 Celebrated our 50th Anniversary, June 18, 1948 - June 18, 1998.
  • Put in service Marine 70, 1998 Roughnec 19 ft. boat with 40 HP Mercury motor.
  • 1952 GMC 70-2 donated back to fire company by C.E. Rupert Smith.
not null 0