Following the establishment of the Bethany Beach Volunteer Fire Company (BBVFC) in June 1948, the BBVFC Ladies Auxiliary was formulated in 1957 with fourteen charter members. The initial dues were $1.00 a year with a beginning bank balance of $127.00. It operated in active support of the BBVFC for about eight years and was disbanded in April 1967 by a vote of the members. Fifteen years later the present Ladies Auxiliary was reconstituted in 1982 and has operated continuously since then. The primary stated function was to provide assistance at fire scenes with food and drinks, to engage in fundraising activities and promote good will throughout the community. Various fundraisers have included card parties, fashion shows, bake sales, 50/50 raffles, craft shows, and helping the BBVFC firefighters at Bingo & Casino nights. Most recently Ladies Auxiliary members have helped to sell BBVFC T-shirts and items during the summer on the Bethany Beach Boardwalk, and have assisted with BBVFC summer breakfast services to the public. A major fundraiser continues to be the annual October Artisans' Festival. The Ladies Auxiliary members currently provide dinners for the BBVFC monthly meetings, as well as regular Fire Drill and EMS meetings. Over the years, the fundraisers have been an important aspect of continuring financial support to the Fire Company funds for the purchase of equipment, building improvements and gear for personal firefighter safety. From the beginning of the Ladies Auxiliary, the membership has provided whatever support the Fire Company has needed with pride and dedication.
Photo of Day
Knox Box Program
We encourage the purchase and installation of a Knox Box® system for business owners and residents.